Spartanburg, S.C. – Dorian Jones raced to a seventh place finish on Friday evening as the USC Upstate cross country teams kicked off their 2018 season hosting the 35th annual Eye Opener Invitational at Milliken Research Center.
The USC Upstate men's team finished in second place of the Division I standings while the women crossed the finish line fourth among Division I schools.
- Jones was the top performer for the men's team as the senior turned in an 8K time of 26:43.7 for a seventh-place performance.
- On the women's side, senior Krysta Pierstorff led the team with a 24th place showing after running a 5K time of 20:29.6.
- The Spartan men recorded a total time of 2:18:17 and logged 59 points in the Division I standings.
- The women's team tallied a total time of 1:46:15 and compiled 112 points in the Division I race.
- Furman won both the women's and men's team portion of the meet after finishing with 17 and 15 points, respectively.
- Furman's Gabrielle Jennings won the women's race with a time of 17:53.3.
- Daniel Bernal of Furman captured the men's race with a time of 25:36.7.
USC UPSTATE WOMEN'S 5K RESULTS
- Krysta Pierstorff – 24th (20:29.6)
- Mia Davis – 29th (20:56.9)
- Marcy Bradshaw – 36th (21:28.7)
- Stecy Cherono – 38th (21:39.2)
- Shamia Thompson – 39th (21:40.6)
- Joey Palmquist – 44th (22:05.3)
- Alicia Chavez – 47th (22:17.3)
- Meredith Ussery – 62nd (24:12.0)
- Libby Jennette – 69th (26:00.3)
USC UPSTATE MEN'S 8K RESULTS
- Dorian Jones – 7th (26:43.7)
- Jacob Coccia – 18th (27:40.2)
- Andrew Castano – 19th (27:45.9)
- Jonathan Johnson – 20th (27:48.0)
- Jared Coccia – 25th (28:18.6)
- Marlin Young – 31st (28:44.2)
- Logan Miller – 33rd (28:46.2)
- Michael Tardella – 35th (28:48.2)
- Brandon Burt – 48th (29:43.8)
- Matt Levonick – 49th (29:47.4)
- Jonathan Loy – 56th (30:18.1)
- Abraham Hernandez – 64th (31:00.7)
- USC Upstate travels to Rock Hill, S.C. on Saturday, Sept. 15 for the Winthrop Invitational at 9 a.m.
Follow USC Upstate cross country on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateXCTrack), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).