CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The USC Upstate track and field teams shook off the dust from indoor season and made a great start to the outdoor season this past weekend at the Charlotte 49er Classic.
"We had a good start to the outdoor season this weekend. We saw some personal best and good competition." USC Upstate head track and field coach Carson Blackwelder said, "We saw a little bit of everything this weekend when it comes to weather, rain, sun, wind, cold. We need to adjust to outdoor and get back to competing in the elements."
- Big South freshman of the year Angelnique Bryant continued her impressive rookie campaign with a second place finish in the 100 meter dash. Bryant's time of 11.86 seconds ranks fifth All-Time in Upstate history.
- Big South Indoor Field Athlete of the Year Adanma Uzor once again had another great showing in the long jump event. The sophomore jumper placed third overall with a leap of 18-05.
- Brittany Cox just missed the podium in the 100 meter hurdles with a fourth place finish. Cox's time of 14.62 ranks fourth All-Time in Upstate history.
- Kalyn Brown finished sixth in the shot put competition and the women's 4x100 relay team came in ninth place at the event.
- Lonnie Morton had a ninth place finish in the men's 110 meter hurdles event. Morton finished with a time of 15.01 seconds.
- The men's 4x100 relay team came in eighth place and had the third fastest time in Upstate history.
MEN'S PERSONAL RECORDS SET
- Marlin Young and Jalin Petty both set new personal bests in the 1500 meter event. Petty also set a personal record in the 800 meter event.
- Distance runners Andrew Castano, Jonathan Johnson, and Logan Miller all set personal records in the men's 5000 meter race.
- Lucas Campbell set a personal best in the 800 meter race, while Cameron Smith had new personal record in the 110m Hurdles.
- In the field Bryson Hatten, Tony Auguste, and Tashawn Wallace all had success in the hammer throw with personal records.
- Auguste also set a personal best with in the shot put event.
WOMEN'S PERSONAL RECORDS SET
- Distance runners Stecy Cherono and Ting O'Regan both finished with personal records in the 5000 meters event.
- Middle distance runners Allie Leavitt and Joey Palmquist had personal bests in the 1500 meter event.
- In the field, jumpers Mikenzie Young-Mullins and Dejaionne Kinard both had top leaps in the triple jump.
- The Spartans will stay in the Tar Heel State next weekend with a drip to Durham, N.C. to participate in the Duke invite.
Follow USC Upstate track & field on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateXCTrack), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).