LYNCHBURG, Va. – The USC Upstate track and field team had five top-ten finishes and a school record broken over the weekend at the Liberty Kickoff.
"As a team we are starting to see improvements in not only performances but in execution in all events." USC Upstate track and field coach Carson Blackwelder said, "It was good to compete at the Liberty track this weekend. It will help this young team be prepared for the conference championships, we will be back at Liberty in three weeks for the Big South Championships."
- Distance runner Dorian Jones finished third overall in the men's 3000 meter run with a time of 8:45.07.
- Tanner Saunders finished eighth overall in the 60 meter hurdles with a sprint of 8.42 seconds. Fellow sprinter Jared Henderson finished 10th overall at the meet in the 60 meter dash. Henderson's sprint of 6.98 seconds places him second on the school's all-time list.
- Sophomore thrower Tony Auguste had another great outing finishing 5th overall in the weight throw and setting a personal best (second in school history) in the shot put competition.
- The men's 4x800 team consisting of Lucas Campbell, Jalin Petty, Dorian Jones and Michael Tardella set a new school record in the event with a time of 8:11.03.
- Javin Holston sprinted his way into the USC Upstate record books with a 7.13 second 60 meter dash time. The sprint places Holston eighth on the school's All-Time list.
- Petty also finished 12th in the 500 meter race and his time of 1:07.73 places him third in USC Upstate history.
- Tardella, Marlin Young and Matt Levonick all finished extremely well in the 1000 meter race. All three had times make the school's top-ten list.
- Shamia Thompson and Brawnwyn Koellner each had top-ten school record times in the 1000 meter race.
- Sprinter Brittany Cox set a new personal record in the 60 meter hurdles. Her time of 9.19 seconds placed her 11 overall at the meet and fifth in school history.
Men's Personal Records Set
- Holston also set a personal record in the 200 meter dash with a time of 23.28 seconds.
- Distance runners Andrew Castano and Logan Miller both set personal bests in the 3000 meter race, while Jonathan Johnson set a personal best in the 5000 meter event.
Women's Personal Records Set
- Sprinters Adanma Uzor, Carrie Barton and Dejaionne Kinard all had personal bests in the 60 meter dash.
- Angelnique Bryant set a personal record in the 200 meter dash.
- Distance runners Allie Leavitt, Ting O'Regan and Marcy Bradshaw all set personal records in the 3000 meter race. Mia Davis set a new personal best in the mile run, while Stecy Cherono set a new personal record in the 5000 meter event.
- Brittany Cox also set a new personal best in the long jump and Mikenzie Young-Mullins broke previous personal records in both the 60 meter hurdles and triple jump event.
- The USC Upstate track and field team will head to the Volunteer state to compete in the Buccaneer invitational next weekend in Johnson City, Tenn.
Follow USC Upstate track & field on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateXCTrack), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).