Dear USC Upstate Spartan Fans,
Welcome to our first Spartan Spotlight, my quarterly report to our fan base. While I will communicate often and through multiple mediums, I recognize transparency is key to our success and I want to ensure our fans have a front seat view of everything that's happening at the University and within the Department of Athletics. For that reason, we will publish the Spartan Spotlight quarterly to keep you updated and informed so that you can keep your finger on the pulse of Spartan athletics!
As the name suggests, the Spartan Spotlight will not only contain insider information from me, but it will provide feature content regarding a student-athlete, coach, staff member or athletic department unit, so that you can truly get to know the difference makers within our department. Also of note, this report is being published as a video to allow you to see our facilities and get to know our people in a more personal format.
In addition to being my first Spartan Spotlight, today's report is being published after my 100th day as your Director of Athletics! As you'll see from our Report, I have been incredibly impressed with our University, our Department of Athletics, and the entire Upstate region during my first 100 days. It is clear that this University is poised for unprecedented success and I'm excited to be a part of our growth and path forward!
A summary of the Spartan Spotlight and my first 100 days include:
First 100 Days
- Met with every athletics staff member in order to get a better understanding of our history, successes, and challenges
- Met with a myriad of external groups, including alumni, donors, and community groups (e.g. Kiwanis Club, Rotary Club, Grassroots Leadership Development Institute, Chamber of Commerce, etc.) to corporate partners and various radio shows
- Met with all of our student-athletes to welcome them back to campus for the fall semester and share with them my message of becoming Champions in the Classroom, on the Field, and in Life
Big South Conference
- Became an official member of the Big South Conference on July 1, 2018
- All 11 conference members are located regionally; in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia
- Big South membership will allow our student-athletes to miss hundreds of less class hours, it will promote regional rivalries with schools our fans are familiar with, and it will allow our alumni base to attend home and away games, as many alumni are located in nearby Big South member communities
- We have engaged an outside consultant to lead us through the strategic planning process and help us develop a blueprint for success for all of our teams and athletic department units
- We are enhancing our premium donor areas for the basketball season, building a Nutrition Bar for our student-athletes, and reviewing our game day ticketing process in the Hodge in order to create a more streamlined and welcoming atmosphere
- Men's and Women's Soccer, Women's Volleyball, Men's and Women's Golf, Men's and Women's Tennis, and Men's and Women's Cross-Country are competing now. Please come out and see our Spartans in action!
- Basketball season tickets are on sale now on our website here; Please purchase your tickets today!
During my first 100 days, I have enjoyed getting to meet many of you. If we have not had an opportunity to meet, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email, phone call, or in-person at the Hodge at any time and we can set up a meeting. I am excited to continue to get to know all of you and to lead our department into the Big South era!