Spartanburg, S.C. – Trailing 3-2 in singles, the USC Upstate women's tennis team claimed a pair of third set wins to defeat UNCG 4-3 at the USC Upstate Tennis Complex on Saturday afternoon.
Upstate is 2-13 while UNCG drops to 1-13.
"Today was a great team effort all around," assistant coach Tim McLane said. "These ladies really earned this victory today. We're very proud of the fight everyone showed today and the heart they played with in tough, windy conditions when they didn't have their best tennis. This is a great win to have before heading into conference play."
Upstate claimed the doubles point to open the match with a 1-0 lead. UNCG won the No. 3 doubles match before Upstate won at the No. 2 position 7-6 (5-0) with Filippa Ericson and Taylor Dodd and 6-4 at the No. 1 position with Carol Sigaki and Vale Zarama to clinch the point.
Morgan Dodd was a 6-2, 6-0 winner over Corinne Blythe at No. 6 singles before UNCG claimed the No. 5, 4 and 3 singles matches to take a 3-2 lead.
Sigaki battled back to defeat Nancy Bridges 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 2 singles to tie the match at 3-3. Ericson claimed the match for Upstate with a 1-6, 6-3, 7-5 win over Masey DeMoss at No. 1 singles. Ericson would save three match points during her 7-5 third set victory.
Upstate opens ASUN play on Wednesday, traveling to Kennesaw State for a 10 a.m. start.
1. Filippa Ericson (UPST) def. Masey DeMoss (UNCG) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Carol Sigaki (UPST) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Alice Taylor (UNCG) def. Vale Zarama (UPST) 7-6 (3-0), 6-0
4. Sophia Adams (UNCG) def. Taylor Dodd (UPST) 6-2, 6-4
5. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) def. Eduarda Ferreira (UPST) 6-3, 6-3
6. Morgan Dodd (UPST) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,4,3,2,1)