Wilmington, N.C. – The UNCW women's tennis team won five of six singles matches en route to a 6-1 win over USC Upstate on Sunday morning at the UNCW Tennis Courts.
UNCW improves to 3-1 while Upstate falls to 1-6.
"Our women's team competed hard against a very competent UNCW team," head coach Oliver Trittenwein said. "I am happy with the upward strides my players are taking in each match they play. Our goal is to be ready when conference matches start in a few weeks.
UNCW claimed the doubles point after a pair of 6-1 wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 courts. Filippa Ericson earned a hard-fought win at No. 2 singles over Alix Theodossiou. After dropping the first set 7-5, Ericson battled back to win the match with a 6-1 win in the second set and a 1-0 (10-6) win in the third set.
Vale Zarama also went to three sets in her No. 3 singles match against Annika Sillanpaa, falling 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
Upstate hosts Appalachian State on Thursday at 2 p.m.
1. Madara Straume (UNCW) def. Carol Sigaki (UPST) 6-1, 6-0
2. Filippa Ericson (UPST) def. Alix Theodossiou (UNCW) 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Annika Sillanpaa (UNCW) def. Vale Zarama (UPST) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
4. Xandra Fougner (UNCW) def. Eduarda Ferreira (UPST) 6-2, 6-4
5. Laura Gomez (UNCW) def. Taylor Dodd (UPST) 6-4, 6-1
6. Sabrina Barisano (UNCW) def. Morgan Dodd (UPST) 6-0, 7-6 (7-1)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,6,5,4,3,2)