MACON, Ga. – On Friday the USC Upstate women's tennis team picked up a pair of singles victories but it was not enough as Mercer claimed the 5-2 win at the Leroy Peddy Tennis Center.
In doubles action, the tandem of Ana-Sofia Camberos and Maria Tonani claimed an 8-4 victory over Mercer's Amalia Bugge and Lucie Payrat at doubles number two.
However, the Bears claimed wins at doubles matches number one and three to claim the doubles point. Mercer's Jennifer Lada and Aurelie de Montjou downed Upstate's Karen Martinez and Talia Rojas, 8-3, while Amanda Bertani and Sarah Hannah claimed an 8-0 win over Catherine Estupinan and Samantha Knopsynder.
In singles action, Ana-Sofia Camberos and Karen Martinez each claimed victories. At singles number two, Camberos claimed a straight set victory (6-3, 6-2) over Amalia Bugge while at singles number three, Martinez claimed victory after Aurelie de Montjou retired from the match. Martinez had claimed the first set 7-5, but was in a 0-3 hole when de Montjou withdrew.
Talia Rojas put up a fight at singles number four, but ultimately fell to Lucie Payrat, 4-6, 3-6.
The Spartans will wrap-up the road swing tomorrow at Kennesaw State in a match slated to begin at 10:00 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
USC Upstate vs Mercer University
Mar 25, 2011 at Macon, Ga.
(Leroy Peddy Tennis Center)
Mercer University 5, USC Upstate 2
1. Jennifer Lada (MER) def. Maria Tonani (UPSTW) 6-2, 6-0
2. Ana-Sofia Camberos (UPSTW) def. Amalia Bugge (MER) 6-3, 6-2
3. Karen Martinez (UPSTW) def. Aurelie de Montjou (MER) 7-5, 0-3, retired
4. Lucie Payrat (MER) def. Talia Rojas (UPSTW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Amanda Bertani (MER) def. Catherine Estupinan (UPSTW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Sarah Hanna (MER) def. Samantha Knopsnyder (UPSTW) 6-0, 6-1
1. Jennifer Lada/Aurelie de Montjou (MER) def. Karen Martinez/Talia Rojas (UPSTW) 8-3
2. Ana-Sofia Camberos/Maria Tonani (UPSTW) def. Amalia Bugge/Lucie Payrat (MER) 8-4
3. Amanda Bertani/Sarah Hanna (MER) def. Catherine Estupinan/Samantha Knopsnyder (UPSTW) 8-0
USC Upstate 0-14, 0-6 A-Sun
Mercer University 3-11, 1-6 A-Sun
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,3,1,4,2)