FORT MYERS, Fla. – Karen Martinez won the tiebreaker against Bibiana Almeida at singles number two, but it wasn't enough as USC Upstate fell to Florida Gulf Coast on Saturday, 6-1.
Martinez claimed the first set 6-4 before dropping set number two, 4-6. Martinez picked up the win as she claimed a 10-6 win in the tiebreaker set.
Talia Rojas battled at singles number five but she eventually fell in straight sets as Gyanna Mandic recorded the 6-2, 6-4 win.
Upstate will return to action on Mar. 11, when they host North Florida at the Upstate Tennis Complex. The match between the Spartans and Opsreys is slated to begin at 10:00 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
USC Upstate vs Florida Gulf Coast University
Mar 05, 2011 at Fort Myers, Fla.
(FGCU Tennis Complex)
Florida Gulf Coast University 6, USC Upstate 1
1. RENDON, Iris (FGCUW) def. Ana-Sofia Camberos (UPSTW) 6-0, 6-3
2. Karen Martinez (UPSTW) def. ALMEIDA, Bibiana (FGCUW) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
3. BECHTEL, Morgan (FGCUW) def. Maria Tonani (UPSTW) 6-2, 6-1
4. BOTHA, Bettina (FGCUW) def. Catherine Estupinan (UPSTW) 6-2, 6-1
5. MANDIC, Gyanna (FGCUW) def. Talia Rojas (UPSTW) 6-2, 6-4
6. EVANS, Jen (FGCUW) def. Samantha Knopsnyder (UPSTW) 6-0, 6-0
1. RENDON, Iris/BOTHA, Bettina (FGCUW) def. Karen Martinez/Ana-Sofia Camberos (UPSTW) 8-1
2. MANDIC, Gyanna/BECHTEL, Morgan (FGCUW) def. Maria Tonani/Talia Rojas (UPSTW) 8-1
3. ALMEIDA, Bibiana/EVANS, Jen (FGCUW) def. Catherine Estupinan/Samantha Knopsnyder (UPSTW) 8-0
USC Upstate 0-9 (0-2 A-Sun)
Florida Gulf Coast University 4-2 (1-2 A-Sun)