Spartans Set For Matches Against Upper-Division Teams
SPARTANBURG, S.C. - With the Atlantic Sun Conference regular-season coming down to its final two weekends, the USC Upstate women's tennis team will play a pair of matches that will have a lot to say in the final placement of the Spartans in the conference standings, as they face off against two teams with winning league records in 6-2 Stetson on Thursday and 5-3 FGCU on Saturday. The Spartans will be out for revenge on the Hatters, who provided Upstate with its first A-Sun loss in 2009, while the Spartans will look to beat FGCU for the third straight time.
Last Meeting Recaps
April 4, 2009: Stetson 5, Upstate 2
Stetson won the doubles point and carried that momentum forward to win four singles matches and handed the Spartans its first loss in its 20th Atlantic Sun Conference match in school history, as the Hatters upset the first-place Spartans, 5-2. The win moved Stetson into a tie for Upstate at 8-1 in the A-Sun.
April 3, 2009: Upstate 6, FGCU 1
The Spartans stood alone in first place in the A-Sun for the only time in 2009 after a 6-1 win over Florida Gulf Coast to improve to a perfect 8-0 in league play. Coupled with ETSU's 4-3 loss at Stetson on Friday afternoon, Upstate was alone in first place in the A-Sun, a match in front of both 7-1 Stetson and ETSU.
• In their third year of Division I play, the Spartans have an all-time record of 41-10 (.804).
• Upstate has now posted 10 wins for the sixth straight season and for the ninth time in the last 10 years.
• Junior Emilia Milovanovic is one of 10 players in school history to post 10 singles wins in three straight seasons.
• Junior Emilia Milovanovic needs is tied for seventh in school history in combined wins ... With 95 career wins, she is one win from passing both Nina Lesnanska (2001-05) and Maria Herrera (2005-08), who each won 96.
• Freshmen Francisca Valderrama needs one more win to become the 12th rookie in school history to win 12 singles matches.
• Cinthya Lazaro is currently 14th in the school's career combined wins with 62 and her 35 singles wins are 12th in school history ... She is also 15th with 27 doubles wins.
• Cinthya Lazaro's 35-11 (.761) career singles record places her fifth in career winning percentage ... JuniorEmilia Milovanovic's 54-22 (.711) career doubles record is also fifth in career winning percentage.
• Upstate is 5-0 this season and 7-1 in the D-I era in 4-3 matches.