Knoxville, Tenn. – The Longwood Lancers scored four runs in the top of the first and held off a late rally as the USC Upstate softball team fell 4-2 in an elimination game of the Knoxville Regional Saturday evening from Tennessee's Sherri Parker Lee Stadium.
The Spartans finish the season with a 45-13 record while Longwood improved to 30-28.
- Top 1st – Longwood plated four runs with two outs to lead 4-0 over Upstate. Glenn Walters plated three of the runs with her triple to right center field and Kasey Carr followed by reaching on a Spartan fielding error.
- Bottom 4th – The Spartans cut their deficit down to three runs in the fourth, scoring once to make the score 4-1. Brittany Case started the inning with a double and advanced to third when Ryan Rector singled to left field. Rector would get caught in a rundown between first and second that allowed Case to score.
- Bottom 6th – Upstate made it a 4-2 game during the sixth scoring another run on an RBI single by Rector to right center field. Case led off with a triple to right field and crossed home plate on Rector's base hit.
- Elizabeth McCarthy (15-10) earned the win giving up two runs on eight hits, no walks and one strikeouts in 5.1 innings of work.
- Lexi Shubert (19-5) took the loss throwing two-thirds of an inning and surrendered two runs on no hits, two walks and one strikeout.
- The Spartans outhit the Lancers 8-4.
- Case led Upstate with a 3-for-3 performance, including a double and a triple, with two runs scored.
- Rector added two hits and one RBI.
- Ansley Gilstrap, Karla Beasley and Kendsey Chappelear also posted one hit offensively.
- Four different Longwood players had one hit each while Walters contributed a game-high three RBI.