Knoxville, Tenn. – The 25th-ranked USC Upstate softball team dropped a 7-3 decision to No. 10 Tennessee on Saturday afternoon in the winner's bracket game of the Knoxville Regional from Sherri Parker Lee Stadium.
The Spartans fall to 45-12 on the season while Tennessee improves to 46-10 overall.
- Bottom 1st – Upstate scored twice to begin the game and lead Tennessee 2-0 in the first. Ansley Gilstrap, who singled to lead off the inning, plated the game's first run coming home on a fielder's choice by Abbie Millete. The following play, Ryan Rector's sacrifice fly to center field brought home Megan Obier from third.
- Bottom 6th – The Spartans extended their lead to 3-0 with one out on an RBI single to left field by Obier. Kendsey Chappelear came home on the single after reaching on an infield single and then stole second.
- Top 7th – The Volunteers hit two home runs in the seventh and scored seven times to take a 7-3 lead over Upstate. Aubrey Leach and Meghan Gregg each homered for Tennessee as Leach hit a three-run homer and Gregg added a two-run home run. Haley Bearden began the scoring with a pinch-hit two RBI single to centerfield.
- Caylan Arnold (20-8) earned the win throwing six innings and allowed three runs (one earned) on three hits, no walks and one strikeout.
- Holly McKinnon (25-8) suffered the loss in relief giving up seven runs (none earned) on four hits, one walk and one strikeout.
- Spartan starter Lexi Shubert retired the first 16 batters she faced and did not allow a run or hit in 5.1 innings of work while walking three and striking out four.
- The Volunteers outhit Upstate 4-3.
- The Spartans were led offensively by Gilstrap, Obier and Chappelear with one hit each.
- Obier finished the game with one RBI.
- Four different Tennessee players contributed one hit apiece while Leach drove in a game-high three RBI.
- Upstate faces Longwood, the fourth seed in the Knoxville Regional, at 5:40 p.m.