Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team won its fourth ASUN Regular Season Championship in program history on Saturday afternoon as the Spartans opened a three-game series against the North Florida Ospreys with a 4-1 victory at Cyrill Stadium.
The second game of the scheduled doubleheader on Saturday was postponed due to rain in the top of the second inning with the Spartans leading 1-0.
- Top 2nd – The Ospreys took a 1-0 lead on a solo home run by Kayla McGory to lead off the inning.
- Bottom 2nd – Upstate answered back to tie the game at 1-1 when Abbie Millete belted her team-leading eighth homer of the season over the left field fence to begin the bottom-half of the second.
- Bottom 3rd – Millete gave the Spartans a 2-1 lead in the third on her RBI single to center field. Ansley Gilstrap led off the inning with a double and advanced to third on a groundout by Ryan Rector. Gilstrap scored on Millete's base hit.
- Bottom 4th – Kristen Wright scored from second on a North Florida throwing error with two outs to give Upstate a 3-1 advantage. Wright drew a four-pitch walk and went to second on an illegal pitch. Kendsey Chappelear reached on the Osprey error allowing Wright to score.
- Bottom 5th – Rector made it a 4-1 game in favor of the Spartans after hitting her fifth home run of the year, a solo blast, to left field.
- Upstate captured its first ASUN Regular Season Championship since 2015 and fourth overall dating back to 2008. The Spartans have also won the regular season crown in 2008, 2014 and 2015.
- Holly McKinnon (21-7) earned the win after throwing her 16th complete game of the season and gave up one run on just two hits, no walks and four strikeouts.
- The outing by McKinnon marks the 15th time this season in which she has given up one earned run in an appearance.
- Logan Green (13-15) suffered the loss allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits, two walks and two strikeouts.
- Millete finished with a game-high two hits and drove in two RBI.
- Rector also contributed one hit and one RBI.
- McGory had one hit and one RBI while Alex Arciola added one hit.
- Upstate will resume the second game of the series against North Florida on Sunday afternoon at 12 p.m. The series finale is scheduled to take place immediately after game two.