Jacksonville, Fla. – Abbie Millete went 3-for-3 and was one of four Spartans to drive in two runs as the USC Upstate softball team clinched the series victory over the Jacksonville Dolphins on Sunday afternoon with an 11-0 win in six innings at the Debbie & Fred Pruitt Softball Complex.
Upstate moves to 38-11 on the season and 11-4 in conference play, while Jacksonville falls to 26-21 overall and 4-8 in the league.
- Top 1st – The Spartans used a two-RBI single to center field by Millete to take an early 2-0 lead over the Dolphins. Brittany Case and Megan Obier started the game with back-to-back singles and were both advanced on a sacrifice bunt by Karla Beasley.
- Top 5th – Upstate broke the game open in the fifth scoring four times to extend its lead to 6-0. Ansley Gilstrap highlighted the inning with her two-RBI double down the left field line. Beasley started the scoring following her RBI single to right field and Ryan Rector was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
- Top 6th – The Spartans plated five more runs and made it an 11-0 contest. Alicia Dorgan brought in two runs with her double down the left field line, while Obier and Rector both contributed RBI singles. Kendsey Chappelear also scored on a throwing error after the single from Obier.
- Holly McKinnon (20-7) became the second player in the ASUN this season to eclipse the 20-win plateau after throwing four scoreless innings and gave up three hits and two walks while striking out three.
- Lexi Shubert also did not give up a run in two innings of relief and allowed no hits and no walks to go with three strikeouts.
- Taylor Thorpe (8-7) suffered the loss surrendering two runs on four hits, no walks and no strikeouts in one inning of work.
- The 11 runs scored by Upstate marks the third time this season, and first in conference play, that it has driven in ten or more runs in a game.
- The Spartans held an opponent scoreless for the 17th time this season.
- McKinnon becomes the first Upstate pitcher since Morgan Childers in 2010 and 2011 to win at least 20 games in two straight seasons.
- Millete finished with a game-high three hits and drove in two runs along with Dorgan, Rector and Gilstrap.
- Allie McCourt, Ciara Jones and Jacqueline Hodskins posted one hit each for Jacksonville.
- The Spartans are off until May 6-7 when they close out their regular season at home with a three-game ASUN series against North Florida.