Spartanburg, S.C. – Holly McKinnon tossed a complete game shutout in game one, while Kristen Wright drove in the game-winning runs in game two, as the USC Upstate softball team opened an ASUN doubleheader against the Stetson Hatters on Friday with a sweep at Cyrill Stadium.
Upstate improves to 35-10 on the season and 8-3 in conference play, while Stetson falls to 24-13 overall and 2-6 in the league.
- Bottom 1st – Abbie Millete put the Spartans ahead 2-0 in the bottom of the first with her two-run homer to left field.
- Bottom 4th – Upstate added two more runs to extend its lead over the Hatters to 4-0. Ansley Gilstrap started the scoring with her RBI single to left field and Megan Obier followed with an RBI sacrifice fly to right field.
- Bottom 5th – The Spartans made it a 6-0 contest after plating two runs in the fifth. Brittany Case was responsible for both runs on her two RBI single to right center field.
- Bottom 6th – Upstate sealed the 9-0 victory by scoring three times during the sixth on Ryan Rector's three-run home run to left center field.
- McKinnon (18-6) earned the win with her 14th complete game of the season after not allowing a run on just one hit, two walks and four strikeouts.
- Tori Perkins (8-8) took the loss after giving up six runs (five earned) on 10 hits, two walks and no strikeouts.
- With the complete game shutout in the opener, McKinnon recorded her ninth appearance this season of not allowing a run and is now tied for first in the ASUN with 18 wins.
- Millete hit her sixth home run of the season during the two-run first inning.
- Case led the Spartans offensively with a 3-for-3 performance and two RBI.
- Rector had a game-high three RBI while Millete was 2-for-3 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Jessie Tenbroeck collected the only hit for Stetson.
- Bottom 5th – Wright broke a scoreless tie with two outs on her two RBI single to left center field that scored Rector and Karla Beasley to give Upstate a 2-0 lead.
- Top 6th – Ashly Smith cut the Hatters deficit to 2-1 in the sixth following her leadoff solo home run to center field.
- Lexi Shubert (16-4) tossed five innings to pick up the win and surrendered one run on four hits, one walk and six strikeouts.
- Brooke Hutto (12-4) suffered the loss throwing all six innings for Stetson and gave up two runs (none earned) on eight hits, three walks and one strikeout.
- McKinnon (3) tallied the save after recording two scoreless innings of relief and allowed three hits and one walk to go with two strikeouts.
- McKinnon has now tied Shubert for the team-lead this season, as well as the conference, with her third save.
- Obier and Rector both had a team-high two hits for the Spartans, while Wright contributed two RBI.
- Wright tallied her second two RBI base hit in the last three games for Upstate after also driving in the first two runs of her career on April 8 at Florida Gulf Coast.
- Smith and Jazz Vasquez posted two hits apiece for the Hatters, and Smith drove in one run.
- The Spartans close out their three-game series against Stetson on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m.