Chapel Hill, N.C. – USC Upstate pitchers Holly McKinnon and Lexi Shubert limited North Carolina to one run on just five hits, but the Tar Heels took a 1-0 victory over the Spartans on Wednesday evening in non-conference play at Anderson Stadium.
Upstate falls to 33-10 on the season while North Carolina improves to 32-11 overall.
- Bottom 5th – Micaela Abbatine gave the Tar Heels a 1-0 lead with two outs on her RBI single down the left field line. Hailey Cole scored on the base hit after entering the game for Brittany Pickett, who led off the inning with a single. Cole would move to second base on a sacrifice bunt.
- McKinnon (17-6) suffered the loss after allowing one run on four hits, no walks and four strikeouts in 4.2 innings of work.
- Shubert came on in relief of McKinnon and threw 1.1 scoreless innings and gave up one hit, no walks and one strikeout.
- Pickett (17-2) earned the win with a complete game and did not surrender a run on three hits, two walks and three strikeouts.
- Ansley Gilstrap, Megan Obier and Abbie Millete all led the Spartans offensively with one hit each.
- Pickett had a game-high two hits for North Carolina while Abbatine contributed one RBI.
- The Spartans return home this weekend to host Stetson in a three-game ASUN series on Friday and Saturday.