Fort Myers, Fla. – Ryan Rector and Brittany Case had a team-high two hits in game one, and Lexi Shubert followed with a complete game shutout in game two, as the USC Upstate softball team opened a three-game ASUN series on Saturday with a doubleheader sweep of the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles at the FGCU Softball Complex.
Upstate improves to 32-9 overall and 5-3 in the conference, while Florida Gulf Coast falls to 21-18 on the season and 3-5 in league play.
The Spartans earned the doubleheader sweep of the Eagles by scores of 5-4 and 3-0.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 5, FGCU 4
- Top 2nd – Upstate scored early in game one highlighted by a four-run second inning to take a 4-0 lead over Florida Gulf Coast. Rector started the scoring for the Spartans with her RBI double to center field and later came home on an RBI single by Case. Kayla Hussey plated Case with her RBI sacrifice bunt. Kristen Wright would score when Ansley Gilstrap was caught in a rundown between first and second base following her walk.
- Bottom 5th – Racquel Fournet cut the Eagles deficit down to 4-3 with her three-run homer to right field.
- Top 6th – Upstate extended its lead to 5-3 with one out after Case reached on a bunt single. Case then attempted to go to second base and allowed Rector to score from third.
- Bottom 7th – Florida Gulf Coast fell short in its rally scoring only once in the bottom of the seventh to make the score 5-4. Kelsey Huff came home on a sacrifice fly to center field by Bri Innamorato.
- Holly McKinnon (17-5) picked up the win after throwing a complete game and gave up four runs on seven hits, three walks and seven strikeouts.
- Riley Randolph (12-5) suffered the loss allowing five runs on nine hits, one walk and five strikeouts in a complete game effort.
- The complete game compiled by McKinnon is her 13th of the season and now ties her for second in the conference.
- Rector and Case led the Spartans offensively with two hits and had one RBI each along with Hussey.
- Rector and Case now have nine and eight multi-hit games, respectively, this season.
- Huff finished with a team-high three hits for the Eagles while Fournet drove in three runs.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 3, FGCU 0
- Top 3rd – Upstate scored all three of its runs in the third inning to go ahead of Florida Gulf Coast 3-0. Wright was responsible for two of the three runs when she drove in Gilstrap and Tarynn Tirpak with her two RBI single to right field. Gilstrap reached the previous at-bat with her RBI single to right field.
- Shubert (14-4) earned the victory with her complete game shutout and gave up two hits and two walks while registering five strikeouts.
- Taylor Wade (7-9) took the loss after pitching a complete game and surrendered three runs (two earned) on six hits, one walk and two strikeouts.
- Shubert picked up her 12th complete game of the season and 14th appearance of not allowing a run.
- Gilstrap collected a team-leading two hits for the Spartans and Wright had two RBI.
- Wright tallied the first two RBI of her career with the base hit in the third.
- Huff and Jeanie Verderese had the only two hits for the Eagles.
- Upstate and Florida Gulf Coast conclude their three-game series on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m.