Mar 17, 2017
Spartanburg, S.C. – Alex Day drove in three runs to lead the Ohio Bobcats to a 3-2 victory over the USC Upstate softball team in non-conference play on Friday afternoon at Cyrill Stadium.
Upstate falls to 23-6 on the season while Ohio improves to 15-6 overall.
- Top 1st – Day gave the Bobcats a 1-0 lead with one out in the first on her solo home run to left center field.
- Top 2nd – Day drove in two more runs with her two RBI single to right field and extended Ohio's lead to 3-0.
- Bottom 2nd – Alicia Dorgan cut the Spartans' deficit to 3-1 in their half of the second following her leadoff solo home run to center field.
- Bottom 6th – Upstate made it a 3-2 contest in the sixth on an RBI sacrifice fly to center field by Abbie Millete. Ansley Gilstrap led off the inning with a double and went to third on Ryan Rector's infield single. Gilstrap scored on Millete's sacrifice fly.
- Holly McKinnon (12-3) suffered the loss after pitching all seven innings and gave up three runs on nine hits, four walks and seven strikeouts.
- Savannah Jo Dorsey (9-3) earned the win with a complete game and allowed two runs on three hits, two walks and eight strikeouts.
- McKinnon has recorded at least seven strikeouts in an appearance for the tenth time this season.
- Dorgan is the first Spartan to homer in back-to-back games since Millete last year when she homered in the regular season finale at North Florida and versus Jacksonville in the ASUN Tournament.
- Gilstrap, Rector and Dorgan all had one hit for Upstate, while Millete and Dorgan both contributed one RBI.
- Day had a game-high three hits and three RBI for the Bobcats, and Alexa Holland collected two hits.
- The Spartans remain at home on Wednesday, March 22 when they host N.C. State in a doubleheader beginning at 4 p.m.