Columbia, S.C. – Abbie Millete had a season-high three hits to lead the USC Upstate softball team offensively but it was not enough as the Spartans fell to the South Carolina Gamecocks 7-5 in non-conference play Wednesday evening at Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field.
- Top 1st – Karla Beasley put the Spartans in front of the Gamecocks 1-0 just three batters into the game with her RBI double to left field that scored Ansley Gilstrap. Gilstrap began the game getting hit by a pitch and stole second base.
- Bottom 3rd – South Carolina plated seven runs in its half of the third to take a 7-1 lead over Upstate. The Gamecocks hit two home runs in the inning including a grand slam to left field by Krystan White. Victoria Williams added a two-run homer and Kennedy Clark an RBI single to left field.
- Top 4th – The Spartans used the long ball to cut their deficit to 7-4 courtesy of a three-run home run to left field by Alicia Dorgan. Upstate put its first three runners on to start the frame as Millete singled, Brittany Case hit into a fielder's choice and Megan Obier reached on an infield single. Case and Obier scored on Dorgan's homer.
- Top 5th – Millete made it a 7-5 game with two outs on her RBI double into the right center field gap. After the first two Spartan batters were retired, Beasley reached on a single and was pinch-run for by Gemma Miller. Miller came home on the double from Millete.
- Lexi Shubert (10-3) suffered the loss for Upstate after allowing six runs on six hits, no walks and three strikeouts in 2.1 innings of work.
- Cayla Drotar (4-1) earned the win for South Carolina after pitching 4.2 innings and gave up five runs on eight hits, no walks and two strikeouts.
- Nickie Blue (3) picked up the save throwing 2.1 scoreless innings of relief and surrendered one hit and one walk while striking out six.
- Millete finished the game 3-for-4 at the plate and tied her career-high of three hits while driving in one run.
- Dorgan had a career-high three RBI following her second home run of the season.
- Beasley added two hits and one RBI in four plate appearances.
- Clark and White both collected two hits for the Gamecocks while White contributed four RBI.
- The Spartans return home on Friday, March 17 to host Ohio at 4 p.m.