Clearwater, Fla. – Ansley Gilstrap hit a 3-run homer and Holly McKinnon struck out six batters to lead the USC Upstate softball team to an 8-1 victory over the Monmouth Hawks on Sunday morning in its final game of the USF-Under Armour Invitational at the Eddie C. Moore Complex.
Upstate improves to 23-4 overall with the victory while Monmouth falls to 2-10 on the season.
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans used a 5-run inning to break the game open and lead the Hawks 5-0. Kayla Hussey began the scoring for Upstate with her 2-run double to right field scoring Megan Obier and Kristen Wright. Gilstrap followed with her 3-run home run and extended the lead to five runs.
- Top 3rd – Monmouth cut the Spartans lead to 5-1 in the third after Amber Wozniak hit a solo home run.
- Bottom 4th – Upstate responded with a single run to push its lead back to five runs, 6-1, in the fourth on an RBI single to left field by Karla Beasley.
- Bottom 5th – The Spartans added another run to go ahead 7-1 when Kendsey Chappelear drove in Obier with her RBI groundout to second base.
- Bottom 6th – Brittany Case knocked in Beasley with her two-out RBI single to center field to give Upstate an 8-1 lead over the Hawks.
- McKinnon (12-2) earned the win after limiting Monmouth to just one run on one hit and one walk to go with the six strikeouts in 4.2 innings of work.
- McKinnon has eight appearances this season of giving up one run and now leads the ASUN in victories.
- Sydney Underhill (0-3) suffered the loss after pitching two innings of relief and surrendered five runs on six hits, two walks and one strikeout.
- Lexi Shubert tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief and allowed three hits, one walk and two strikeouts.
- Gilstrap compiled her second game this season with three or more RBI after driving in four against Georgetown on Feb. 18.
- Hussey tied her season-high of two RBI and finished the game with one hit and one run scored.
- Beasley and Ryan Rector led the Spartans offensively with two hits while Gilstrap had a game-high three RBI.
- Gilstrap also scored two runs along with Obier.
- Wozniak, Rachel Shotzbarger, Justene Reyes and Katie Baron all had one hit apiece for the Hawks, while Wozniak contributed one RBI.
- Upstate posted 11 hits in the contest to give it six games this season with a double-digit hit total.
- The Spartans close out their six-game road trip on Wednesday, March 15 at 6 p.m. against South Carolina.
- The game will be streamed on SEC Network Plus.