Spartanburg, S.C. – Lexi Shubert tossed her second straight complete game shutout as the USC Upstate softball team closed out play at the USC Upstate/Furman Classic on Sunday afternoon with a 4-0 victory against the Presbyterian College Blue Hose at Cyrill Stadium.
Upstate improves to 9-2 on the season while Presbyterian College falls to 2-8 overall.
Bottom 1st – Abbie Millete gave the Spartans a 1-0 lead in the first on her suicide squeeze with one out. Ryan Rector scored on the bunt after reaching on a fielder's choice and then advanced to third after a double by Karla Beasley.
Bottom 3rd – Millete hit her team-leading third home run of the season to extend Upstate's lead to 4-0 with a three-run homer. Rector and Ansley Gilstrap all scored on Millete's home run.
- Shubert allowed just three Blue Hose batters to reach base on the afternoon and picked up her sixth complete game of the season after giving up two hits and one walk while striking out eight. She extended her scoreless inning streak to 19.1 with her performance on Sunday.
- Katie Brown (1-4) suffered the loss for Presbyterian College after tossing 6.0 innings and surrendered four runs on six hits, two walks and one strikeout.
- Millete drove in all four runs, tying her career-high, for the Spartans and was one of six players that recorded one hit. Gilstrap, Rector, Beasley, Brittany Case and Megan Obier also collected one hit in the contest.
- Kelsie Sanchez and Rebekka Gross had the only two hits for Presbyterian College.
- Upstate travels to Greenville on Wednesday, Feb. 22 to face Furman in a doubleheader beginning at 3 p.m.