Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team saw its pitching staff limit opponents to three hits Saturday and picked up two straight five-inning shutout victories over the Georgetown Hoyas and Colgate Raiders during day two of the USC Upstate/Furman Classic from Cyrill Stadium.
Upstate improves to 8-2 on the season, while Georgetown fell to 0-9 and Colgate 1-3.
The Spartans began the day by defeating the Hoyas 9-0 in five innings and followed with another win in five innings, 8-0, over the Raiders.
GAME ONE – GEORGETOWN 0, USC UPSTATE 9 (5)
- Bottom 1st – Upstate quickly took a 1-0 lead to start the game on an RBI sacrifice fly by Karla Beasley. Ryan Rector got the inning started with a triple to right center field and scored on Beasley's sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans broke the game open in the second with four runs to extend their lead to 5-0. Ansley Gilstrap highlighted the inning by driving in all four runs with her first career grand slam.
- Bottom 3rd – Upstate added to its lead at 6-0 in the third on an RBI triple to right center field by Brittany Case. Kristen Wright, pinch-running for Kori Wancheck, scored from first base. Wancheck reached base on her infield single.
- Bottom 4th- The Spartans sealed the 9-0 victory in the bottom of fourth after scoring three more runs with two coming on Rector's first home run of the season to left field. Wancheck also drove in pinch-runner Tarynn Tirpak with her double down the left field line.
- Holly McKinnon (4-1) earned the win after limiting Georgetown to just two hits and no walks while striking out four over four innings of work.
- Katie Vannicola (0-5) took the loss after pitching three innings and surrendered six runs on six hits, two walks and no strikeouts.
- Making her first career appearance, Erin Hill tossed a scoreless inning of relief and struck out two.
- Gilstrap tied her career-high of four RBI and finished with two hits along with Wancheck.
- Rector had a game-high three hits and added two RBI.
- Beasley, Wancheck and Case each drove in one run.
- Mallory Belknap and Theresa Kane collected the only two hits for the Hoyas.
- Bottom 2nd – Upstate took an early 2-0 lead over Colgate in the second with RBI doubles by Case and Blakely Burch. The RBI double by Burch was the first of her career.
- Bottom 3rd – The Spartans plated two runs for the second straight inning in the third as Wancheck and Abbie Millete collected one RBI apiece. Millete started the inning with a sacrifice bunt that scored Rector from third, and Wancheck singled home Beasley.
- Bottom 4th – Upstate secured the win in the fourth after scoring four times to take an 8-0 lead. Three Spartans posted an RBI each during the fourth including Gilstrap, Rector and Beasley. Obier scored the first run of the inning on a Raider throwing error.
- Lexi Shubert (4-1) allowed just two base runners the entire game and set a new career-high with 11 strikeouts while tossing her fifth complete game of the season. Shubert gave up just one hit and one walk, while retiring 16 of the 17 batters she faced.
- Brittany Bendel (0-2) suffered the loss giving up four runs (two earned) on four hits, one walk and no strikeouts in 2.2 innings of work.
- Rector and Burch led Upstate offensively with two hits each, and seven different players drove in one run. For Burch, it was the first multi-hit game of her career.
- Jordan Miller collected the lone hit for the Raiders.
- The Spartans close out play at the USC Upstate/Furman Classic on Sunday afternoon when they host Presbyterian College at 1 p.m.