Charleston, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team opened play at the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational on Saturday by posting a 1-1 record beginning with a 4-0 loss to 14th-ranked James Madison before defeating host Charleston Southern 5-3 from CSU Softball Field.
The Spartans currently sit at 3-1 on the season, while the Dukes are 3-0 and the Buccaneers 2-4.
GAME ONE - #14 JAMES MADISON 4, USC UPSTATE 0
- Top 4th – James Madison got on the board first in the fourth inning on a solo home run by Morgan Tolle to lead off the frame.
- Top 6th – The Dukes added two more runs in the sixth to extend their lead to 3-0. Tolle drove in her second run of the game on a bunt single and Tahli Moore added an RBI triple.
- Top 7th – James Madison made the score 4-0 in the seventh when Madyson Moran plated Jenny Behan with two outs on her RBI double into the left centerfield gap.
- Megan Good (2-0) earned the win tossing a complete game and did not allow a run on two hits, no walks and seven strikeouts.
- Holly McKinnon (1-1) suffered the loss after pitching her second complete game of the season and gave up four runs (two earned) on four hits, one walk and nine strikeouts.
- Ansley Gilstrap and Karla Beasley had one hit apiece for the Spartans.
- Tolle led the Dukes offensively with two hits and two RBI.
- Bottom 1st – Charleston Southern took a 1-0 lead to start the game on a solo homer to right field by Cheyenne Gandara.
- Top 3rd – An error by the Buccaneers led to the first Upstate run and tied the score at 1-1. Kendsey Chappelear led off the inning with an infield single and advanced to third on Gilstrap's single. She then scored after a throwing error by the CSU catcher.
- Top 5th – The Spartans took a 2-1 lead with no outs in the fifth on Beasley's RBI groundout to shortstop. Gilstrap scored after leading off with a walk and went to third on a bunt single from Brittany Case.
- Bottom 5th – Jade Gandara put Charleston Southern back in front 3-2 in the bottom of the fifth on her two-run home run to right field.
- Top 6th – Upstate answered back with three runs in the sixth to take the lead back at 5-3. Gilstrap began the scoring with her RBI single to left field and Case followed the next at-bat with another single that brought in two runs.
- Lexi Shubert (2-0) also picked up her second complete game of the season to earn the win after allowing three runs on six hits, no walks and striking out nine batters for the second straight game.
- Arizona Pilgrim (0-1) took the loss in relief after surrendering two runs on two hits, no walks and no strikeouts in one-third of an inning.
- The Spartans had three players finish the game with two hits in Gilstrap, Case and Megan Obier.
- Case led the team with two RBI on her base hit in the sixth inning.
- Six different Buccaneers collected one hit each and Jade Gandara drove in two runs.
- Upstate closes out play at the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational on Sunday afternoon when it takes on 17th-ranked Missouri followed by a second game in two days against Charleston Southern.
- The Spartans are scheduled to face Missouri at 1 p.m. and Charleston Southern at 3 p.m.