Asheville, N.C. – Abbie Ellis' penalty kick goal in the 48th minute gave the USC Upstate women's soccer team a 1-0 win over UNC Asheville on Saturday night at Greenwood Soccer Field. Saturday's win is the 100th career victory for head coach Tyson John.
Upstate improves to 4-4-0 while UNC Asheville drops to 3-4-1.
"I could not be more proud of the girls," John said. "I saw it in their eyes and actions that they were not leaving without a win tonight! The effort and believe that we had in each other shows how far we've come and where we're headed. We will enjoy this day for the work that went into it. Tomorrow we will be focused again on our match Monday against Gardner-Webb."
Stats of the Match
- Ellis' goal came on Upstate's first penalty kick opportunity of the season.
- UNC Asheville outshot Upstate 16-9 and enjoyed a 6-4 edge in shots on goal.
- Kayla Dean led Upstate with four shots followed by Ellis with three.
- Courtney Nabor took a match-high six shots for UNC Asheville followed by Skyler Chillson with five.
- The Bulldogs attempted six corner kicks while Upstate had five.
- Samantha Munyon made five saves for her second shutout in as many appearances. Munyon got an assist from her defense as Upstate was credited with a team save in the 44th minute.
- Bryson Lee made two saves for UNC Asheville.
- The win is the first for the Spartans over UNC Asheville after dropping the first five matchups.
USC Upstate Goals
- Following a UNC Asheville foul just inside the 18-yard box, Ellis capitalized on a penalty kick for her third goal of the season. (USC Upstate 1, UNC Asheville 0)
- Upstate makes the trip to Gardner-Webb on Monday for a 7 p.m. contest.
Follow Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).