Morganton, N.C. – The USC Upstate women's golf team carded a final round 298 on Monday and recorded its best performance of the season at the Mimosa Hills Intercollegiate finishing alone in second place at the par 72, 6099-yard Mimosa Hills Country Club.
USC Upstate's final round 298 was tied for lowest of the day among the 16-team field along with Troy and host Appalachian State. The Spartans finished the tournament in second place at 598 (300-298).
Troy won the Mimosa Hills Intercollegiate by three strokes over USC Upstate at 595. Elon's Aurelia Hamm won individual medalist honors by three strokes at 4-under par 140.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The Spartans recorded their second straight finish of third or better at the Mimosa Hills Intercollegiate after placing third at last year's event.
- The final round 298 posted by USC Upstate was its lowest of the spring and fourth-best of the season.
- The second place finish is also the best showing overall by the Spartans this year.
- USC Upstate finished better than four teams ranked higher in the latest Golfstat rankings in Elon, James Madison, Winthrop and Bethune-Cookman.
- Anna Chanthaphaeng tied her career-low round, as well as setting a season-best score, on Monday with a 72 to lead the Spartans individually tying for fourth place at 1-over 145 (73-72).
- Chanthaphaeng also collected the first top-5 finish of her career and was one of three USC Upstate golfers to finish 15th or better.
- Pan Paksanont (74-76) and Brooke Hutto (74-76) both tied for 15th place with combined scores of 6-over 150. Both players had final round scores of 76.
- Hutto compiled the best finish of her career after playing the final 15 holes of the day at 2-under par with seven birdies.
- Payton Culler and Sidney Dermody rounded out the standings for the Spartans tied for 26th and 56th places, respectively. Culler recorded rounds of 79-74 to finish at 153 and Dermody 79-80 for a 159.
- Playing as an individual, Marley DeFreitas had a career-low round of 73 to finish tied for 37th place at 155 (82-73).
- DeFreitas had the only eagle of the tournament for USC Upstate carding a three on the par 5 12th hole.
- The Spartans registered a total of 116 pars and 30 birdies at the Mimosa Hills Intercollegiate.
- Hutto led the team with nine birdies and Chanthaphaeng 22 pars.
- Along with the team-leading nine birdies from Hutto, Chanthaphaeng added seven, Paksanont six, Culler and DeFreitas three apiece, and Dermody two.
- 1st Troy 297-298=595
- 2nd USC Upstate 300-298=598
- 3rd Elon 297-302=599
- T-4th James Madison 303-302=605
- T-4th Wofford 295-310=605
- 6th Winthrop 307-300=607
- 7th UNC Asheville 311-299=610
- 8th Appalachian State 313-298=611
- 9th USC Beaufort 312-304=616
- 10th UNC Pembroke 310-310=620
- 11th Presbyterian College 305-316=621
- 12th Longwood 311-312=623
- 13th Radford 315-310=625
- 14th Gardner-Webb 321-308=629
- 15th Bethune-Cookman 319-322=641
- 16th Sandhills CC 332-331=663
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-4th Anna Chanthaphaeng 73-72=145
- T-15th Pan Paksanont 74-76=150
- T-15th Brooke Hutto 74-76=150
- T-26th Payton Culler 79-74=153
- T-37th Marley DeFreitas 82-73=155 (Playing as an Individual)
- T-56th Sidney Dermody 79-80=159
- The Spartans are off until April 22-24 when they travel to the Legends Course at Chateau Elan in Braselton, Ga. for the ASUN Women's Golf Championship.
Follow USC Upstate women's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).