Kiawah Island, S.C. – For the first time in 11 years the USC Upstate women's golf team captured a team championship as the Spartans won the Oak Point Championship to wrap up play at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Spring Classic on Tuesday afternoon from the par 72, 5941-yard Oak Point Golf Club.
USC Upstate carded a final round 305 and posted a combined score of 907 (301-301-305) for the tournament to finish first at the Oak Point Championship and 17th overall out of 43 teams at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Spring Classic.
College of Charleston won the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Spring Classic after taking home team championship honors at the Osprey Point Golf Club. On the individual leaderboard, there was a three-way tie between Lucila Puente Rodriguez of Murray State, Valentina Giraldo of Jacksonville State and Lyberty Anderson of UNC Wilmington at 5-under 211.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The Spartans picked up their first team championship since winning the Peach Belt Shootout on March 19, 2007.
- Along with the team championship, Pan Paksanont collected individual medalist honors in the Oak Point Championship with her final round 74.
- Paksanont finished tied for 9th place overall with a combined score of 217 (74-69-74).
- Paksanont is the first USC Upstate women's golfer to win individual medalist honors at a tournament since Richia Wedzik claimed first place at the Anderson Invitational on Sept. 12, 2006.
- A total of one stroke separated Sidney Dermody and Brooke Hutto in the individual standings. Dermody had a final round 75 on Tuesday while Hutto carded a 77. Dermody finished tied for 70th at 228 (76-77-75) and Hutto tied for 79th (74-78-77).
- Anna Chanthaphaeng (T-123rd, 234) and Payton Culler (T-163rd, 242) rounded out the standings for the Spartans. Chanthaphaeng posted rounds of 77-77-80 and Culler 83-80-79.
- Paksanont led USC Upstate in par 3 scoring (-1, 2.93 stroke average), par 4 scoring (E, 4.00 stroke average) and birdies (12).
- Paksanont concluded the tournament tied for second in birdies and tied for fourth in par 4 scoring.
- Chanthaphaeng finished with a team-best 1-under, 4.93 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Paksanont, Dermody and Hutto all compiled a team-leading 32 pars.
- Culler recorded one eagle and was tied for second among the tournament field in that category.
- The Spartans had a 3.29 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.32 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 5.11 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- USC Upstate also registered 153 pars, 32 birdies and one eagle.
- 1st College of Charleston 288-279-305=872
- 2nd Murray State 290-288-301=879
- 3rd Jacksonville 296-283-303=882
- 4th UNC Wilmington 294-291-301=886
- 5th Western Kentucky 293-291-305=889
- 6th North Florida 293-294-304=891
- 7th UNC Greensboro 296-300-300=896
- 8th SCAD-Savannah 293-292-312=897
- T-9th Georgia Southern 301-288-311=900
- T-9th Georgetown 297-300-303=900]
- T-9th Navy 303-296-301=900
- T-9th East Tennessee State 304-294-302=900
- T-13th Fairleigh Dickinson 300-290-311=901
- T-13th Charleston Southern 297-295-309=901
- 15th Stetson 300-295-309=904
- 16th William & Mary 289-303-314
- 17th USC Upstate 301-301-305=907
- T-18th Jacksonville State 294-291-325=910
- T-18th Bethune-Cookman 307-292-311=910
- 20th Marshall 303-299-309=911
- 21st Quinnipiac 305-303-307=915
- 22nd Boston 307-295-314=916
- 23rd Richmond 302-301-316=919
- 24th High Point 304-307-309=920
- 25th Towson 307-306-309=922
- 26th Elon 299-307-317=923
- 27th Presbyterian College 307-292-325=924
- T-28th College of Charleston (B) 314-302-325=925
- T-28th Stephen F. Austin 301-298-326=925
- 30th Samford 303-308-316=927
- 31st St. John's 300-299-332=931
- 32nd IUPUI 304-317-312=933
- 33rd UT Arlington 313-304-319=936
- 34th Tennessee Tech 312-307-320=939
- 35th Longwood 315-304-323=942
- 36th South Dakota 309-312-328=949
- T-37th Indiana State 318-322-313=953
- T-37th Omaha 327-306-320=953
- 39th Western Carolina 324-306-324=954
- 40th Bucknell 325-317-324=966
- 41st Lipscomb 321-326-339=986
- 42nd Sandhills CC 333-333-336=1002
- 43rd Hampton 349-341-365=1055
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-9th Pan Paksanont 74-69-74=217
- T-70th Sidney Dermody 76-77-75=228
- T-79th Brooke Hutto 74-78-77=229
- T-123rd Anna Chanthaphaeng 77-77-80=234
- T-163rd Payton Culler 83-80-79=242
- The Spartans return to the course March 17-18 at the Low Country Intercollegiate in Hilton Head, S.C.
Follow USC Upstate women's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).