Jacksonville, Fla. – Riley Popplewell tied her career-high of 17 points but USC Upstate was unable to overcome a second quarter run by North Florida in a 79-61 loss to the Ospreys on Monday night.
North Florida improves to 12-16 overall and 5-8 in the ASUN Conference while USC Upstate drops to 10-18 and 5-8.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Popplewell scored 17 points against NJIT on Jan. 6, 2018 and first reached the mark against NJIT on Jan. 7, 2017.
- Brittney Delva and Tamera Thorpe each finished with 11 points.
- A'Lexxus Davis and Anda Kuzmina each grabbed six rebounds.
- Maiya Rumph led North Florida with 15 points.
- Tesh Hanson and Tiffany Tolbert each scored 13 points while Keona Farmer added 12 points.
- Both teams finished with 35 rebounds.
- USC Upstate went 20-for-52 (38.5 percent) from the field. The Spartans finished at 16.0 percent in the first half and 59.3 percent in the second half.
- North Florida finished 24-for-58 (41.4 percent) from the field.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Hanson opened the scoring with a 3-pointer at the 7:41 mark before Swain tied the contest with a 3-pointer with 5:11 left.
- A Rumph jumper with two minutes left gave the Ospreys a 14-6 edge.
- North Florida led 18-9 at the end of the period.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- North Florida outscored USC Upstate 25-7 in the quarter.
- Five of the Spartans' seven points in the quarter were scored at the free throw line.
- Rumph's two free throws with 42 seconds left sent North Florida into halftime with a 43-16 lead.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A Farmer jumper 51 seconds into the quarter opened the scoring.
- Rylie Parkhurst's 3-pointer made the score 45-23 with just over eight minutes left in the quarter.
- Delva's layup with 33 seconds left sent the Spartans into the fourth quarter trailing 63-40.
- USC Upstate outscored North Florida 24-20 in the stanza.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Rumph gave the hosts a 73-46 lead with just under six minutes left.
- The Spartans answered with a 12-1 run as a Popplewell jumper brought the Spartans within 16, 74-58, with 2:30 to play.
- A Delva 3-pointer with 17 seconds left was the final basket of the game.
- USC Upstate celebrates Senior Day on Saturday against NJIT at 1 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).