Photo Courtesy of Carin Goodall-Gosnell
Jacksonville, Fla. – A 12-2 second quarter Jacksonville run broke open what had been a tight game as the Dolphins defeated USC Upstate 65-49 in ASUN women's basketball action on Saturday afternoon at Swisher Gymnasium.
Jacksonville improves to 20-7 overall and 10-2 in ASUN Conference play while USC Upstate falls to 10-17 and 5-7.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Riley Popplewell led USC Upstate with 11 points.
- Morgan Williams came off the bench and contributed nine points and four rebounds.
- Jasmyn Brown scored a game-high 14 points for Jacksonville.
- Naqaiyyah Teague had a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds while Kayla Gordon also posted a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds.
- The Dolphins held a 44-24 edge on the glass.
- Jacksonville went 25-for-60 (41.7 percent) from the field.
- USC Upstate finished 20-for-51 (39.2 percent) from the field.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A Gordon layup opened the scoring at the 8:46 mark.
- The Dolphins led 8-2 following a pair of Teague free throws with 3:44 to play.
- After a Brown 3-pointer with 2:01 left gave the Dolphins a 13-6 lead, USC Upstate closed the quarter on a 5-0 run to trail 13-11 after the first period.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Michaela Gibbons made the second of two free throws with 8:18 left to bring the Spartans within one, 13-12.
- Jacksonville answered with a 14-2 run to lead 27-14 with just over four minutes left.
- The Dolphins outscored USC Upstate 21-7 in the frame and led 34-18 at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Teague gave the hosts a 40-20 lead with just under five minutes left.
- USC Upstate pulled to within 12, 47-35, following an A'Lexxus Davis layup with 1:31 remaining.
- Jacksonville led 49-35 at the end of the quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A Williams 3-pointer brought the Spartans back within 12, 52-40, with 7:45 to play.
- Popplewell's jumper with eight second remaining served as the final basket of the game.
- USC Upstate plays its final road game on Monday against North Florida at 7 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).