Jacksonville, Fla. – USC Upstate sophomore and Jacksonville native DeNisha Swain scored a team-leading 14 points off the bench but the Spartans were unable to overcome a slow start in a 59-46 loss to Jacksonville on Monday night at Swisher Gymnasium.
Jacksonville improves to 19-7 overall and 8-3 in the ASUN Conference while Upstate drops to 9-17 and 2-9.
Swain finished in double figures for the sixth time this season. Raven Jefferson finished in double figures for the 14th consecutive game as she added 10 points. Vanessa Agrusa, Brittney Delva and A'Lexxus Davis each grabbed three rebounds. Riley Popplewell had three steals.
Jasmyn Brown scored a game-high 15 points to lead Jacksonville. Brandi Buie and Sherranda Reddick both finished with 10 points. Reddick, Kayla Gordon and Shalonda Neely each pulled down eight rebounds.
- Jacksonville opened the game on an 11-0 run before an Agrusa 3-pointer got the Spartans on the board at the 5:19 remaining in the first quarter. A Christin Mercer jumper gave the hosts a 19-10 lead at the end of the opening stanza.
- The Dolphins opened the second quarter on an 8-0 run and led 27-10 at the 4:12 mark. Upstate closed out the period win an 8-0 run of its own as a Jefferson jumper with 42 seconds remaining sent the Spartans into intermission down 11, 29-18.
- An Agrusa jumper cut the Spartan deficit to nine, 29-20, just under a minute into the third quarter. Brown gave the Dolphins a 37-22 lead before a Swain 3-pointer brought Upstate to within 12 with 3:42 to play. Jacksonville closed out the third quarter on a 10-0 run to lead 47-25.
- After the Dolphins took a game-high 26-point lead, 51-25, with 8:48 to play, Upstate went on a 19-6 run capped by a Coco Ritter layup to make the score 57-44 with just over two minutes left. The Spartans would get no closer as the teams each made two free throws in the final 44 seconds for the final points of the game.
By the Numbers
- The Upstate bench outscored the Jacksonville reserves 21-10.
- Upstate scored 22 points off of 23 Dolphin turnovers while Jacksonville converted 19 Upstate turnovers into 16 points.
- Jacksonville outrebounded Upstate 43-25.
- The Dolphins outshot Upstate 47.1 percent to 27.8 percent.
- Upstate finished 6-for-25 (24.0 percent) from behind the 3-point arc while Jacksonville made one of 12 3-point attempts (8.3 percent).
- Upstate hosts Florida Gulf Coast on Saturday at 5 p.m.