Spartanburg, S.C. – Tamera Thorpe and Vanessa Agrusa each surpassed the 20-point mark as the USC Upstate Spartans defeated Lipscomb 89-75 in a back-and-forth contest on Wednesday night at the Hodge Center.
Upstate improves to 9-15 overall and 2-7 in the ASUN Conference while Lipscomb drops to 5-19 and 2-7.
Thorpe scored a game-high 23 points with a team-leading three steals while Agrusa finished with 21 points. Raven Jefferson finished in double figures for the 12th straight game with17 points. Riley Popplewell had eight points and eight rebounds.
Laure Assena led Lipscomb with 18 points followed by Alex Banks with 17 and Meredith Lovelady with 12. Loren Cagle had a team-leading seven rebounds and dished out nine assists.
- Agrusa got the Spartans on the board with a layup 15 seconds into the game before Cagle tied the contest at the 9:23 mark. Thorpe completed a three-point play which gave Upstate a 13-11 lead with 3:45 to play. A Lovelady 3-pointer followed by an Auriana Broughton layup gave the Lady Bisons a 21-17 lead with 1:10 left in the quarter. Lipscomb led 25-22 after the first quarter.
- Upstate opened the second quarter on a 6-0 run as they took a 28-25 lead on a Jefferson layup with 8:46 to play in the quarter. The Lady Bisons tied the game at 30 on an Assena jumper and claimed a 33-32 advantage on a Lovelady 3-pointer at the 5:57 mark. The teams would trade the lead before an Agrusa 3-pointer and an A'Lexxus Davis layup gave Upstate a 39-35 lead with 2:58 remaining. Lipscomb tied the game at 39 on a Jones layup five seconds before halftime.
- The third quarter featured four ties and six lead changes before the Spartans claimed the lead for good after Thorpe completed a three-point play for a 54-51 advantage at the 3:30 mark.
- Jefferson gave the Spartans a 56-51 edge with just under three minutes to go only to see the Lady Bisons pull within a point, 56-55, after a Banks layup with 38 seconds left. As the Lady Bisons worked to get the ball inbounds with four seconds left in the period, DeNisha Swain forced a turnover and made a jumper just before time expired to give the Spartans a 58-55 lead heading into the final stanza.
- Lipscomb cut the Upstate advantage to one, 62-61, following an Assena layup with 7:18 remaining in the game. Upstate answered with seven straight points only to see the Lady Bisons pull within four, 69-65, with just under four minutes to play after a Banks layup. Upstate put the game away with an 8-0 run for a game-high 12-point lead, 77-65, thanks to a Popplewell layup with 2:40 remaining. Lipscomb would get no closer than seven points down the stretch.
By the Numbers
- Tonight's game is the first time Upstate has had two players finish with 20 or more points since Brittany Starling and Brittany Clency finished with 26 and 20 points respectively in an 86-72 win at Morehead State on Dec. 14, 2015.
- The game featured 10 ties and the lead changed 18 times.
- Thorpe was 13-for-15 at the free throw line.
- Lipscomb finished the game 31-for-63 (49.2 percent) from the field while Upstate was 32-for-69 (46.4 percent).
- Upstate outrebounded Lipscomb 38-35 and held a 13-7 edge on the offensive glass.
- The Spartans enjoyed a 52-40 edge in points in the paint.
- Upstate travels to North Florida on Saturday at 1 p.m.