Davidson, N.C. – The USC Upstate men's tennis team fell 5-2 to the Davidson Wildcats in non-conference play on Friday afternoon from the Davidson Tennis Courts.
Upstate falls to 4-10 on the season while Davidson improves to 12-4 overall.
The Wildcats claimed the doubles point after taking all three matches against the Spartans and led 1-0 heading into singles competition.
Davidson would go on to win four of the six singles matches to earn the 5-2 victory. Upstate earned two victories during singles play at the No. 3 and No. 5 positions.
Ankush Arora, playing at No. 3 singles, recorded a straight set victory over Axel Fries 6-4, 6-2 to even the match at 1-1 for the Spartans. In the No. 5 singles contest, Ignacio Garrido held off J.B. Gough in three sets 6-4, 3-6, 6-2.
Upstate begins ASUN play on Wednesday, March 22 when it travels to Kennesaw State to face the Owls at 2 p.m.
Follow Upstate men's tennis on your mobile device, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
1. Shamael Chaudhry (DAV) def. Lenhard Haupt (UPST) 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
2. David Hager (DAV) def. Fernando Bernardes (UPST) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ankush Arora (UPST) def. Axel Fries (DAV) 6-4, 6-2
4. Artem Khrapko (DAV) def. Francisco Neto (UPST) 6-4, 6-3
5. Ignacio Garrido (UPST) def. J.B. Gough (DAV) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
6. Ricky Saad (DAV) def. Tomas Venere (UPST) 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-5)
1. J.B. Gough/Axel Fries (DAV) def. Ignacio Garrido/Fernando Bernardes (UPST) 6-1
2. Shamael Chaudhry/Jack Riazzi (DAV) def. Ankush Arora/Francisco Neto (UPST) 7-5
3. Artem Khrapko/Ricky Saad (DAV) def. Lenhard Haupt/Tomas Venere (UPST) 6-4
USC Upstate 4-10
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,2,1,5,6)