BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – With the threat of severe weather in the area, USC Upstate and UAB played just the singles portion of its match Saturday afternoon, with the Blazers coming away with the 5-1 win.
Upstate's (1-1) lone win came at singles No. 1 as Ramiro Blanco rallied for a three-set victory. After David Zimmerman won the first set 6-3, Blanco rallied to take the second set, 7-6, and won the third-set tiebreaker, 10-4.
The Spartans had a chance to potentially tie the match, but Gonzalo Blanco (singles No. 3) and Tyler Grove (singles No. 6) fell just short. Grove actually won his first set (7-5) before dropping the final two sets.
The Spartans close out their two-match swing through Birmingham as they battle Samford tomorrow at 11 a.m. (CT).
1. Ramiro Blanco (Upstate) def. David Zimmerman (UAB) 3-6, 7-6 (1), 10-4
2. Danny Manlow (UAB) def. Matthias Kidler (Upstate) 6-2, 6-4
3. Chris Helliar (UAB) def. Gonzalo Blanco 6-2, 7-6 (3)
4. Daniel Moser (UAB) def. Yvon Haessig (Upstate) 7-5, 6-0
5. Lucas Dirube (UAB) def. Pierre Vernin (Upstate) 6-2, 6-1
6. Tom Puetz (UAB) def. Tyler Grove (Upstate) 5-7, 6-2, 7-5