Braselton, Ga. – Matt Carter opened the 2017 ASUN Men's Golf Championships with rounds of 75 and 73 to lead the USC Upstate men's golf team following day one action on Sunday to sit in a tie for 14th place at the par 72, 7032-yard Legends Course at Chateau Elan.
The Spartans are presently in sixth place of the team standings after shooting a 609 (305-304) on Sunday highlighted by a second round 304. Upstate is 14 strokes back of Florida Gulf Coast in fifth place.
Carter carded the lowest round of the day for the Spartans with his second round 73 and is at 148 (75-73) for the tournament. Upstate also counted scores of 151 (76-75) from Taylor White, 152 (76-76) from Jordan Warnock, 158 (78-80) from Sun Paripunna and 161 (80-81) from Andrew Purcell.
Following Carter on the individual leaderboard is White who sits in a tie for 21st place and Warnock tied for 24th. Paripunna and Purcell are alone in 31st and 35th place, respectively.
Kennesaw State leads the ASUN Men's Golf Championships after the first two rounds by ten strokes over North Florida at 8-under 568. Lipscomb's Dawson Armstrong currently sits at 5-under 139 to lead the individual standings by one stroke over Travis Trace of North Florida.
The final round of the ASUN Men's Golf Championships will tee off at 9 a.m. Monday morning.
- Upstate finished the first day at 2-under with a 4.95 stroke average on par 5 holes, while also registering a 3.50 stroke average in par 3 scoring and 4.32 stroke average in par 4 scoring.
- The Spartans compiled a total of 93 pars and 25 birdies through rounds one and two.
- Carter collected a team-high eight birdies for Upstate highlighted by five in his second round.
- White also contributed six birdies, Purcell five, and Warnock and Paripunna with three apiece.
- Warnock also led the Spartans with 23 pars.
- White ranks among the top players among the tournament field in par 5 scoring as he is tied for second with a 4-under score to go with a 4.50 stroke average.
- Warnock is tied for third at the tournament in par 3 scoring at even-par with a 3.00 stroke average.
- Carter was tied for eighth in both par 4 and par 5 scoring on Sunday. He had a 1-over score and 4.05 stroke average on par 4 holes, and is at 2-under with a 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring.