Ponte Vedra, Fla. – After grinding through 36 holes on Monday at the par 70, 6,873 yard TPC at Sawgrass – Dye's Valley Course, Taylor White leads the USC Upstate men's golf team with rounds of 71 and 74 following day one of the Sea Best Invitational.
Upstate carded an opening-round 307 before posting a 304 in the second round. The Spartans will enter Tuesday's final round in 14th place with a team score of 611 and trail Charleston Southern in 13th place by 12 strokes.
White currently sits in a tie for 32nd place with his two-round score of 145 (71-74) and is followed by Matt Carter in a tie for 62nd position at 150 (78-72). Playing in his first collegiate event, Sam Merrell is the third highest ranked Upstate golfer in the field as he is tied for 77th after tallying a 158 (81-77).
Jordan Warnock and Sean Stanistreet round out the field for the Spartans. Warnock is two strokes back of Merrell in 80th place at 160 (77-83) and Stanistreet sits 82nd with a 165 (84-81).
- The 304 carded by Upstate in the second round was the sixth-lowest of the season.
- White's first round 71 ties him for the fourth-lowest round of the season with Warnock, who turned in a 71 during the second round of the Camden Collegiate Invitational.
- Carter also tied for the sixth-lowest round of the year with his second round 72, tying him with both White and Warnock.
- White turned in one of the best performances of his career on the course finishing tied for second in par 5 scoring at 3-under par with a 4.25 stroke average, and recorded a total of seven birdies.
- Carter was not too far behind White on par 5 holes as he concluded the day at 1-under par to go with a 4.75 stroke average.
- Upstate concludes play at the Sea Best Invitational on Tuesday with all 15 teams scheduled to tee off at 8 a.m.
- Live scoring for the tournament is available at www.golfstat.com.