Spartanburg, S.C. – Michael Buchanan finished over the 20-point threshold for the 10th time this season, but it wasn't enough as the Stetson Hatters earned an 83-72 win over the USC Upstate men's basketball team on Thursday evening at the G.B. Hodge Center.
Stetson improves to 11-18 overall and 3-9 in the ASUN, while Upstate falls to 17-12 on the season and 7-5 in conference play.
Buchanan finished with 21 points and seven rebounds, and was one of three players to score in double-figures. Deion Holmes added 13 points while Mike Cunningham contributed 10.
Divine Myles scored a game-high 22 points to lead the Hatters offensively, and was joined by Derick Newton with 16 and Leo Goodman's 11.
- Ramel Thompkins opened the scoring with a 3-pointer at the 18:32 mark. Stetson tied the game at 5-5 after a Newton 3-pointer with 17:37 to play in the half.
- A tip-in by Philip Whittington gave the Spartans an 11-7 edge with 14:07 left. Stetson answered with a 15-0 run capped by a pair of Myles free throws for a 22-11 lead with just under eight minutes remaining.
- Following a B.J. Glasford jumper with 2:49 to play that gave Stetson a 34-22 lead, Upstate cut the lead down to nine points, 39-30, as Buchanan closed out the half with a jumper.
- Stetson opened the second half with a pair of 3-pointers from Myles and Luke Doyle. The Hatters took a 49-32 lead following a Brian Pegg layup with 16:22 remaining.
- Myles gave the Hatters a game-high 21-point lead, 60-39, on a layup with 11:40 to play. Upstate answered with a 12-1 run to pull within 10 points, 61-51, with 7:24 to play.
- The Hatters scored six straight points to go up 67-51 at the 5:55 mark. Upstate would get no closer than 11 points for the remainder of the game.
- Stetson closed out the game scoring its final 13 points at the free throw line with the last coming when Newton made two with 27 seconds remaining, giving it an 83-69 lead.
- Jure Span put the final score at 83-72 with 14 seconds left on his 3-pointer.
- Buchanan concluded the game shooting 9-of-16 from the field, and added seven rebounds, three assists, one block and one steal.
- Holmes was successful on three 3-point attempts and went 4-for-4 at the free throw line.
- Span dished out a team-high five assists for the Spartans while Cunningham contributed four. Whittington tied his career-high with three assists.
- Myles was 6-of-13 shooting to lead the Hatters and Angel Rivera dished out a game-high six assists. Newton led the team with six rebounds.
- Upstate finished the game shooting 41.9 percent (26-of-62) and held a 34-33 advantage in rebounds.
- The Spartans also led 32-24 in points in the paint and 13-10 in second chance points.
- The score was tied twice in the contest and the lead changed hands once.
- Upstate closes out its regular season home schedule on Saturday afternoon when it hosts Florida Gulf Coast at 2 p.m.
- Following the game, the Spartans will hold their Senior Day festivities honoring Buchanan and Josh Cuthbertson.