Spartanburg, S.C. – Playing in his final collegiate game, USC Upstate senior Hunter Gilbert hit a walk-off single for a 13-12 Spartan win over NJIT on Saturday at Harley Park.
Upstate concludes the season at 24-31 overall and 7-14 in the ASUN. NJIT wraps up the season at 9-40 and 2-19.
- Bottom 1st- Pat Raiff and Charlie Carpenter hit back-to-back home runs for a 2-0 lead. Upstate took a 3-0 lead on a Jake Bourke single that scored J.J. Shimko.
- Bottom 2nd – Raiff reached on an NJIT error and scored on a Carpenter two-run home run.
- Top 4th – NJIT got on the board thanks to a two-run home run by Alex Burman. The Highlanders took the lead thanks to a Cody Kramer three-run home run.
- Top 5th – Tom Brady opened the inning with a walk and scored on a single by Rex MacMillan.
- Top 6th – Kramer reached on a one-out single and scored on an Upstate error for a 7-5 NJIT advantage.
- Bottom 7th – Upstate scored four runs on two hits and three walks for a 9-7 lead. A pair of walks and an error loaded the bases for Raiff. Raiff was hit by a pitch followed by a walk to Carpenter that tied the game at 7. The Spartans took the lead on a Shimko two-run single.
- Bottom 8th – Gilbert scored on a Raiff sacrifice fly for a 10-7 Upstate lead.
- Top 9th – After an error on a fielder's choice extended the inning, NJIT scored five unearned runs for a 12-10 advantage.
- Bottom 9th – Shimko opened the inning with a single and advanced to third on a Russell Schwertfeger double. Shimko scored on a Bourke single before the Highlanders intentionally walked Brett Hawkins to set up a force play. Gilbert ended the game with a two-run single to right field.
- Shimko went 4-for-5 with three singles, a double, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Schwertfeger went 4-for-6 with three singles, a double and run scored.
- Bourke finished 3-for-5 with three singles, a run scored and two RBI.
- Carpenter went 2-for-4 with two home runs, two runs scored and four RBI.
- With his two home runs Carpenter is now the Upstate Division I single-season record holder with 11 home runs.
- Gilbert went 2-for-3 with two singles, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Kramer led NJIT with four hits, three runs scored and four RBI.
- Burman, Matt Cocciadiferro, Justin Etts, Evan Pietronico and Johnny Malatesta each had multi-hit games for NJIT.
- NJIT outhit Upstate 20-18.
- Will Wheeler (2-1) earned the win as allowed one hit in 0.1 inning.
- Bryan Haberstroh (1-3) took the loss, allowing four runs on seven hits with a walk in 1.2 innings.