Columbia, S.C. – The South Carolina Gamecocks hit a trio of home runs totaling five runs scored as they defeated USC Upstate 6-3 in non-conference action on Tuesday night at Founders Park.
South Carolina improves to 31-21 overall while Upstate drops to 22-30.
- Bottom 1st – Jonah Bride reached on a one-out single and scored on a Carlos Cortes two-run home run. Cortes' home run was originally ruled a double but was changed to a home run following a video review.
- Top 2nd – Brett Hawkins and Jake Bourke opened the inning with singles. Following a wild pitch that advanced the runners into scoring position, Russell Schwertfeger brought home Hawkins with a single. After a strikeout, Schwertfeger stole second as the Spartans tied the game on a Nick Bryson groundout.
- Bottom 2nd – Justin Row opened the inning with a solo home run. Hunter Taylor followed with a double but was thrown out at third base as he overslid the bag. The Gamecocks added a run on a Bride single for a 4-2 lead.
- Top 6th – J.J. Shimko led off the inning with a double, advanced to third on a groundout and scored on a Bourke groundout.
- Bottom 7th – Jacob Olson singled with one out and scored on an Alex Destino two-run home run.
- Bourke went 2-for-4 with a single, double, run scored and RBI to lead the Spartans.
- Hawkins went 2-for-3 with two singles.
- Schwertfeger, Charlie Carpenter, Pat Raiff, and Drake Harris each had a single.
- Shimko had Upstate's lone extra-base hit of the night with a double.
- Schwertfeger's stolen base in the second inning was his team-leading 12th stolen base of the season.
- Cortes went 3-for-4 with two singles, a home run and two RBI.
- Row went 3-for-4 with two singles, a home run, run scored and RBI.
- Bride and Olsen each had two hits.
- Carpenter threw out Cortes at second base in the seventh inning. It was Upstate's ASUN-leading 28th runner caught stealing this year.
- Cody Morris (3-1) earned the win as he allowed three runs on eight hits with seven strikeouts in 6.0 innings.
- Colie Bowers (4) recorded his fourth save of the year, allowing one hit with four strikeouts in 3.0 innings.
- Trey Van Der Weide (2-2) took the loss as he allowed two runs on seven hits with a walk and a strikeout in 2.2 innings.
- South Carolina left eight runners on base while the Spartans stranded five baserunners.
- Upstate opens the final ASUN series of the season on Thursday against NJIT. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.