Greenville, S.C. – Trailing 7-6 after five innings, the USC Upstate Spartans scored five runs in the sixth inning to take control in a 14-7 win over Furman at Latham Stadium on Tuesday evening.
Upstate improves to 15-20 while Furman drops to 11-20.
- Bottom 1st – Furman got on the board thanks to a Brandon Elmy single.
- Top 2nd- Upstate tied the game on a Jake Bourke sacrifice fly. The Spartans claimed a 2-1 lead on a Devon Ortiz single with two more runs scoring on a J.J. Shimko single.
- Bottom 2nd – The Paladins evened the score at 4 with three runs.
- Top 3rd – Pat Raiff's sacrifice fly gave Upstate a 5-4 lead.
- Bottom 3rd – Dillon Love's double scored Skye Overton as Furman tied the game at 5.
- Top 4th – Brett Hawkins brought home Ortiz on a single for a 6-5 Upstate lead.
- Bottom 5th – Furman pulled ahead 7-6 with a sacrifice fly and a Carter Grote single.
- Top 6th – Upstate plated five runs on two hits with one Furman error. Ortiz led off the inning with a single and scored on a Brendan Brundage single with the bases loaded. Charlie Carpenter would score on a fielder's choice with two runs scoring as a result of a Paladin error. Drake Harris scored the final run of the inning on a wild pitch.
- Top 9th – Bourke scored as a result of a Furman error. Brundage plated Hawkins and Ortiz with a two-run single.
- Upstate finished with 17 hits, led by Ortiz who went 4-for-6 with four singles, four runs scored and an RBI.
- Carpenter went 3-for-5 with two singles and a double.
- Brundage, Hawkins, Harris and Russell Schwertfeger each had two hits.
- Brundage drove in a team-high three runs.
- Furman recorded 14 hits with five players posting two hits each.
- Bryan Hathaway (2-2) earned the win with 4.1 shutout innings. Hathaway surrendered two hits with a walk and three strikeouts.
- Andrew Holweger (0-1) took the loss after he allowed four runs (two earned) on two hits in 0.1 inning.
- Upstate opens a three-game ASUN series at Florida Gulf Coast on Thursday at 6:30 p.m.