Spartanburg, S.C. – Charlie Carpenter's two-run home run in the ninth inning broke a 3-3 tie as USC Upstate defeated Quinnipiac 5-3 at Harley Park on Friday night.
Upstate evens its record at 10-10 while Quinnipiac falls to 6-9.
- Top 1st – Mike Palladino reached on a leadoff walk and advanced to second on a Matthew Batten single. Palladino scored on a Joseph Burns base hit.
- Bottom 2nd – Jake Bourke led off with a single and scored on a Zach Krider double.
- Top 4th – Andre Marrero reached on a leadoff single, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on a Burns single.
- Top 5th – Anthony Cruz's double scored Evan Vulgamore to give the Bobcats a 3-1 lead.
- Bottom 6th – Hunter Gilbert opened the inning with a single and scored on a Krider double.
- Bottom 7th – Gilbert reached on a bases-loaded walk with one out that scored Brett Hawkins. The Spartans were unable to push any additional runs across following a foulout and strikeout.
- Bottom 9th – Hawkins led off the inning with a single and scored on Carpenter's fifth home run of the season to end the game.
- Carpenter went 3-for-3 with two singles, a home run and two RBI.
- Krider went 2-for-3 with two doubles and two RBI.
- Hawkins, Gilbert, Bourke and Brendan Brundage each had a hit.
- Ryan Nelson went 3-for-5 with three singles to lead Quinnipiac.
- Jordan Miller (1-0) earned the win after allowing one hit with a strikeout in 1.2 innings.
- Chris Ennis (0-1) took the loss after surrendering two runs on one hit with four walks and a strikeout in 1.2 innings.
- The teams combined to leave 24 runners on base as Quinnipiac stranded 14 baserunners while Upstate left 10 runners on base.
- The Spartans and Bobcats continue their three-game series tomorrow at 2 p.m.