Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team received hits from 10 different players as the Spartans defeated Monmouth 14-5 at Harley Park on Saturday afternoon.
Upstate evens its record at 9-9 while Monmouth drops to 1-10.
- Top 1st – John LaRocca was hit by a pitch to start the game. LaRocca stole second and advanced to third on a groundout. Dan Shea struck out but a passed ball allowed him to reach first, LaRocca to score and the inning to continue. Aidan Favia drove in two runs with a single to give the Hawks a 3-0 lead.
- Bottom 1st – Devon Ortiz led off the inning with a single and scored on a J.J. Shimko single. Upstate would add three runs thanks to a bases-loaded walk, a wild pitch and a hit batter with the bases loaded.
- Bottom 3rd – The Spartans plated four runs in the inning. Brett Hawkins brought home Jake Bourke and Russell Schwertfeger with a two-run single. Zach Krider followed with a two-run home run, his first of the season as Upstate smacked five hits in the inning.
- Bottom 4th – Brendan Brundage opened the inning with a single and advanced to second on a bunt before stealing third. Brundage scored on a Bourke sacrifice fly.
- Top 5th – Monmouth added two runs on singles by Shea and Clay Koniencki.
- Bottom 5th – Krider led off the winning with a double and scored on a Drake Harris double.
- Bottom 7th – Ortiz reached on a one-out double and scored on a Monmouth error. Drake Harris scored on a Charlie Carpenter double, with Carpenter scoring on a Shimko double. Shimko scored on a Brundage double.
- Every Spartan batter collected at least one hit as Upstate finished with 18 hits, one shy of a season-high.
- Brundage and Krider each finished with three hits.
- Ortiz, Harris, Shimko and Schwertfeger each had two hits.
- Hawkins went 1-for-3 with three RBI.
- Loniencki and Shaine Hughes each had two hits to lead Monmouth.
- Kevin Hickey (2-2) earned the win, allowing five runs (all unearned) on six hits with six strikeouts in 5.0 innings.
- Jordan McCrum (0-2) took the loss after allowing eight runs (seven earned) on eight hits with three walks and two strikeouts in 2.2 innings.
- After playing five games in as many days, the Spartans are off until Wednesday when they make the trip across town to Wofford for a 6 p.m. matchup.