Mar 10, 2017
Spartanburg, S.C. – USC Upstate sophomore Devon Ortiz went 4-for-5 with four RBI as the Spartans defeated La Salle 6-3 at Harley Park on Friday afternoon.
Upstate improves to 8-9 while La Salle drops to 2-13.
- Bottom 2nd – Russell Schwertfeger led off the inning with a single and advanced to second on a walk to Hunter Gilbert. La Salle starting pitcher Mike Anthony struck out the next Spartan batter but Schwertfeger and Gilbert successfully completed a double steal on the final pitch of that at-bat. Schwertfeger scored on a Brett Hawkins groundout for the first run of the game.
- Bottom 4th – Jake Bourke reached on a one out single, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and stole third base. Following a walk, Bourke scored on an Ortiz base hit.
- Top 6th – La Salle loaded the bases with three consecutive singles to start the inning. The Explorers got on the board on a sacrifice fly and tied and tied the game on a John Faso single.
- Bottom 6th – Bourke reached on an error and advanced to third on a Brett Hawkins single and an error. Ortiz broke the 2-2 tie with a single that scored Bourke and Hawkins.
- Bottom 8th – Jordan Miller singled with one out and scored on an Ortiz triple. Ortiz scored on a Drake Harris single.
- Top 9th – Brian Tagoe tripled and scored on a groundout.
- Ortiz went 4-for-5 with three singles and a triple.
- Harris finished with two hits while Schwertfeger, Bourke, Miller, Hawkins, and J.J. Shimko each had one hit.
- Rafael Amanau led La Salle with three hits while Tagoe had two hits.
- Bryan Hathaway (1-0) earned the win with 2.1 scoreless innings.
- Trey Van Der Weide allowed two runs on five hits with five strikeouts in 5.2 innings.
- Blake James (0-1) took the loss as he allowed two unearned runs on three hits with a walk and strikeout in 0.2 innings.
- Upstate hosts Monmouth on Saturday at 1 p.m.