SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team will return to conference action this weekend when it travels to DeLand, Fla., for a three-game Atlantic Sun Conference series beginning Friday night at 6:30 p.m.
The Spartans enter the weekend atop the A-Sun Standings at 13-5, with Belmont sitting in second (12-6) and third-place Stetson (11-7).
Game two of the series is scheduled for Saturday night at 6:30 p.m., with the finale taking place Sunday at 1 p.m. Live stats and live video will be available for all three contests this weekend.
• The 2012 season marks the first season of full NCAA Division I eligibility for the Spartans... After a five-year transitional phase from D-II to D-I, Upstate is eligible for postseason play.
• Head Coach Matt Fincher is in his 15th season at the helm of the Spartan baseball program.
• Upstate overcame a season high five errors to pick up its 30th win of the season with a 15-3 victory at Georgia State (May 2)... Gaither Bumgardner highlighted the Spartan offense with a 5-for-5 effort to go along with six RBI and two runs... Ben Augenstein earned the win after scattering six hits and three unearned runs in 6.2 innings of work (career-high five strikeouts)... Chris Knauff closed the door on the Panthers, allowing one hit while striking out one... The Spartans also drew a season-best 13 walks in the contest.
• Against Wofford (May 1), the Spartans rallied to tie the contest at six with a three-run ninth, but Wofford responded with the game-winning run in the bottom of the frame... Gaither Bumgardner led the way with five hits (five ABs), three runs and one RBI... Jordan Stampler added three hits and two runs while Austin Liput posted three hits and three RBI against the Terriers.
• The Spartans picked up their third conference series sweep of the season as the club claimed all three victories over Jacksonville (Apr. 20-22).
• Brody Greer finished a triple shy of the cycle (including his first career HR) and scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth as the Spartans downed the Dolphins, 3-2 (Apr. 20)... Ben Augenstein earned the win in relief and improved to 2-1 after tossing 1.2 innings of scoreless baseball (0 hits, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts).
• The Spartans scored four unearned runs in the 3rd and registered its lone hit of the game in the 5th en route to a 4-2 win in the middle game of the Jacksonville series... Scott DeCecco earned his fifth win of the season after allowing just two runs on eight hits in 6.1 innings of work... Chad Sobotka, meanwhile, picked up his 10th save of the season to move within two saves of tying the single-season school-record.
• Brandon Lee tossed his fourth complete game of the season and the Spartans tallied 11 runs in the eighth inning to claim a 12-4 win in the finale against the Dolphins.
• With the 9-6 victory over North Carolina A&T (Apr. 17), the Spartans set a new D-I era record with 26 wins... The Spartans previous high came in the first season of D-I play (2008) when the club posted 25 victories.
• Greg Guers paced the Spartans with a 3-for-4 effort against the Aggies... Guers connected on a three-run homer in the top of the first en route to a three RBI and three run performance.