SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Fresh off of a three-game sweep of Atlantic Sun foe ETSU, the USC Upstate baseball team will return to the diamond Tuesday afternoon when it travels to Greensboro, N.C., for a 3 p.m. contest at North Carolina A&T.
The Spartans will then complete the two-game season series with Wofford Wednesday night. First pitch at Harley Park between the two Spartanburg schools is slated for 6 p.m.
Live stats and live video will be available for the Wofford contest and fans can join the conversation on twitter: @UpstateSpartans / #UpstateBSB.
• The 2012 season marks the first season of full NCAA Division I eligibility for the Spartans... After a five-year transitional phase from D-II to D-I, Upstate is eligible for postseason play.
• Head Coach Matt Fincher is in his 15th season at the helm of the Spartan baseball program.
• Upstate snapped a nine-game losing streak to ETSU with a 6-4 victory in the series opener (Apr. 13)... The Spartans went on to sweep the series, their first series win over ETSU since 2008 and the first-ever sweep.
• Austin Liput led Upstate with a 3-for-4 effort to go along with three runs and three RBI as the senior finished a double shy of the cycle in the 6-4 win over ETSU (Apr. 13)... Luke Weber led the Spartans with four hits, three runs and two RBI in the second game (Apr. 14)... Weber's RBI in the top of the 11th proved to be the game-winner as Upstate defeated the Bucs, 8-7... All nine starters recorded atleast a hit in Sunday's finale at ETSU as the Spartans held on for a 9-7 win.
• David Roseboom earned the win in game one of the ETSU series to improve to 6-1, while Chad Sobotka earned his eighth save of the year after tossing a scoreless ninth... Game two of the series saw Sobotka toss the final 3.1 innings of the contest as he picked up the win in relief to improve to 3-0... In the finale, Brandon Lee picked up his fifth win of the season and Ben Augenstein allowed just one hit in 1.2 innings to earn his first save in a Spartan uniform.
• Against Charleston Southern (Apr. 10) the middle of the Spartan lineup (Greg Guers, Tyler Miller & Trey Richardson) combined for six hits, five RBI and three runs. At Wofford (Apr. 11), the Spartans were led at the plate by Tyler Cook's 3-for-5 effort with two RBI.
• With 22 wins on the season, the Spartans have surpassed last season's win total (19-36) and the last time Upstate won 20 or more games in a season was the first season of D-I play (25-29, 2008). The club, at 7-5 in league play, is just three wins shy of tying its conference win total from a season ago (10-18).
• Upstate trailed Davidson by just one run in the bottom of the ninth with one out and runners on the corners, but the Wildcats were able to close out the game as the Spartans struck out in their final two at-bats.
• The Spartans sent 12 batters to the plate in the fifth inning in Sunday's finale against Florida Gulf Coast (Apr. 1)... Upstate scored eight runs (seven earned) on six hits in the inning as the club posted a 10-2 win and claimed the series two games to one.
• Junior Brandon Lee improved to 4-2 after allowing one run (two total) on four hits... During his 118-pitch outing, Lee struck out eight and surrendered zero walks... Tyler Miller, Austin Liput and Trey Richardson paced the Spartan offense as the trio combined for six hits, four runs and two RBI (both by Richardson).
• Upstate, trailing 4-3, had Jordan Stampler in scoring position at second in the bottom of the ninth, but Stampler was left stranded as the Eagles took the middle game of the three-game set (Mar. 31).